White Hall Plantation in Jasper County is well known to HFA members as a residence of Thomas Heyward (1746 – 1809), a signer of the Declaration of Independence. It’s been the site of several reunions, most recently in 2017. Currently the property is managed as a hunting reserve.
Kin Heyward has recently made a short video of White Hall, including aerial views. It can be seen here.
He reports that one of the walls has recently fallen down and the owners would like to restore it, although it would be a dangerous operation.
The White Hall Plantation house ruins and oak avenue are the remnants of a significant eighteenth century plantation house and grounds. The house was a substantial building of at least two stories and two chimneys. It was built between 1771 and 1776, then enlarged between 1786 and 1792. The house burned in 1870 and was not restored.
Thomas Heyward owned another house in Charleston at 87 Church Street, where he entertained George Washington, then president of the United States. That house, now known as the “Heyward-Washington House” is a present-day tourist attraction.